This recipe is perfect for those winter evenings!
Warm, delicious and filling!
Add a loaf of bread and/or side salad to make this a full meal. Also, if you are a vegetarian…
omit the sausage for tofu and use veggie broth! Both variations are very satisfying.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage, casing removed (omit for Vegetarians)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or use Allepo Pepper Flakes for a richer heat (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 cups chicken broth (veggie broth for Vegetarians)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound red potatoes, diced
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add Italian sausage and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Stir in garlic, onion, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in chicken broth and bay leaf, and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in spinach until it begins to wilt, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in heavy cream until heated through, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately. Also, it is almost better the next day… so keep your left overs!